Dear Spartan Community,
The first half of this year has definitely proved the truth of the old adage “time flies.” In May, USC Upstate was thrilled to once again hold in-person ceremonies to celebrate our graduates. For the first time ever, the university held two commencement ceremonies, along with a hooding ceremony for our master’s candidates. Seeing our students’ joy and excitement as they posed for pictures, and their parents’ pride, was inspiring. I particularly enjoyed the individual touches the graduates displayed as they crossed the stage -- one young woman wore beautiful Upstate green heels, while other graduates shared messages of gratitude and optimism on festively decorated graduation caps.
Commencement is also a reminder of how many of our students depend on financial aid and scholarships to help them achieve their degrees. I am thrilled to share that the USC Upstate Foundation has worked with generous donors to open 14 new scholarships this fiscal year. Five of them are endowed:
- June Claire Dickinson Carter Scholarship Endowment: This was established by faculty of USC Upstate’s Languages, Literature and Composition Department for one English major and one world language major/minor (Spanish, American Sign Language, French, Chinese, or German).
- Pamela Gray Heath Scholarship Endowment: This annual scholarship was originally established by Tommy Young of Young Office in Spartanburg, South Carolina, to honor Pamela Heath’s 25 years of service to the company. Heath and her husband, Scott Heath, took the extra step to endow the award for student-athletes at the George Dean Johnson, Jr. College of Business and Economics.
- Kasler & Gerry Hughes Scholarship Endowment: Established by educator Dr. David L. Eubanks in honor of his friends Kasler and Gerry Hughes, this honorary scholarship supports South Carolina residents enrolled in the School of Education, Human Performance, and Heath earning a degree in teacher education.
- The LaRoche Family Men's Soccer Scholarship Endowment: Established by a “pioneer” of the USC Upstate men’s soccer program, Frederic “Fred” F. LaRoche II, ’83, and his wife, Diane L. Chafee, the LaRoche Family Men's Soccer Scholarship supports men’s soccer student-athletes.
- Ralph & Virginia Hendricks Foundation Scholarship Endowment: Established by the Ralph & Virginia Hendricks Foundation, this scholarship supports undergraduate students from the Golden Strip area of South Carolina.
Annual scholarships can be established with a minimum donation of $2,500. Endowed scholarships can be established starting at $25,000 and can be paid in installments for up to five years. The USC Upstate Foundation is grateful to all the donors who are assisting our students by opening new scholarships or contributing to existing ones.
If you’d like to help our students realize their academic goals, please give us a call at 864-503-5000 to learn more about establishing a scholarship.
Thank you for being part of our mission and a valued member of the USC Upstate community. I wish you a safe summer.
Kimberly A. Jolley
Interim Vice Chancellor for University Advancement and Executive Director for University Foundations
USC UPSTATE FOUNDATION BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Kenneth E. Darr Jr.
Craig D. Haydamack
Charles J. Hodge
Todd Horne ‘05
Jay H. Kaplan
David Miller ‘90
Irvine T. “Irv” Welling III
Susan Jacobs ‘80
Dr. G. Hubbard Smalls
CAPITAL DEVELOPMENT FOUNDATION